Research in Germany

26.02.2018 - Article

All persons who wish to work as a researcher at or for an institution in Germany (including their spouses and minor children) are required to obtain a residence permit in Germany. In order to enter Germany, a research visa has to be issued.

Application requirements for a research visa

To apply for a visa to conduct research or post-doctoral studies in Germany for more than 90 days, please submit the following documents in original and 2 photocopies:

  • Completed application form
  • 3 recent passport photographs that can support biometric check
  • Passport or travel document, valid for at least 6 months
  • Invitation letter from the German university or research organisation with details regarding length of stay and activity to be pursued
  • Accompanying letter of the Hong Kong organisation/employer or academic qualifications
  • Scholarship/fellowship award letter (if applicable) or financial proof in the past 3 months for your entire stay in Germany, such as your scholarship award, a recent bank passbook, a recent bank statement or a fixed deposit statement (please reckon a total amount of € 8,640)
  • If you intend to stay in Germany for more than 12 months, you will be requested to provide a Certificate of No Criminal Conviction issued by the Hong Kong Police. This Consulate General will support your application for such a Certificate by issuing a request to the Hong Kong Police.

All documents must be presented in English or German. Further documents may be requested in individual cases.

Applicants will have to apply in person.

If your family is accompanying you, the same requirements will be applicable to them. Proof of family relation (birth or marriage certificate) must be submitted.

Top of page